Monday, October 8, 2012

Back in action!

Makeup by Jenna

During the day, it was my hometown's celebration for being a town.  Congratulations Havertown!  I went to the festivities for just a brief moment.  It's always odd going out in public when you know you're going back to the farm at night to act ridiculous.  And then, especially when you look a little off with a mohawk.

The mohawk has no other significance for my scene other than it makes me look a little more absurd than I already do with all the makeup on my face.  Yet, I'm not the only one at the farm to have done it this year.  It helps a little with the insanity factor.

Another swift start tonight.  This time, we were informed that the French nannies would be coming through.  They come through every year and also come dressed in Halloween outfits.  They're always fun to scare and well, fun to look at, as well ;)

French nannies aside, it was actually a nice night for frights.  Before tonight, it had felt a little uncomfortable and more like a job, but now, it's feeling more like an opportunity to act, to go crazy, to let out all of the negative feelings anyone can feel in a day through creeping and crawling around people.  At one point, my scene partner, Jess, turned to me and said, "I love this job."  When the activity started to pick up a bit more, someone got so scared that they knocked one of the skulls down from the wall.  Immediately, I picked it up because I didn't want anyone tripping over it, but then it became a nice prop and now I talk like pubescent British mama's boy to most people entering the room.  Also, I found out I can only maniacally laugh like either Voldemort after he announces he's killed Harry or Bubble Bass, the food critic from Spongebob.  I think I'll stick to the talking.

I'll try to recount some of the memorable quotes that patrons like to share with me.  It's amazing what people do and say when they think no one is watching.  One nice gentleman of about 40 years said, "You're not scary.  You suck at this.  You should get a new career."  I apologize, brave sir, I am just not good enough for you, but let me educate you a little bit.  Yes, we try to be the scariest possible haunted attraction, but we are limited by the regulations set forth due to the sue-happy American public.  And we are also human.  We can't be there at the right moment to frighten or entertain each and every individual.  If you really want to be terrified for your life, then invite one of the actors into your home after hours.

Makeup by Jenna
Nearing the end of the night, I just wanted to be done.  I was getting cold because all of the sweat had stuck to my clothes and the two places I hide are right next to open doors that let all that cool air in.  And surprisingly, one of the break actresses came around and say last wagon was already in the woods.  I'm starting to like the earlier endings, but I know for sure this will not always be the case.

(End of 5th evening).

No comments:

Post a Comment