Saturday, October 13, 2012

Chills & chills

Makeup by Tom

Last Sunday evening, I had the night off because I had to see a play for one of my classes.  But at night, I went to Eastern State Penitentiary's Terror Behind the Walls.  Eastern State will always have a little place in my heart because it was the first haunted attraction I went to on my own and went with my good friend, Colin, whom also works at Bates with me.  The anticipation of waiting to actually get into the attraction frightened me.  Then, when we were going through, I couldn't believe the sets and how intricate they were.  The actors all made me smile because they were so silly with all their characters and schticks.  The longer I went into it, the more I fell in love with it.  Thus my fascination with haunted attractions began.

I try to tell myself anytime that I'm not happy with going to work at night that I get to scare people at night and that I have one of the greatest jobs.  Yet, I woke up this morning with some congestion that transitioned into a head cold during the night.  YAY!  I tried not to pay attention to it, but boy, is it cold out there on the farm, and especially when you're not feeling well, it all seems magnified.  As soon as I got my makeup tonight, I went to my car and grabbed my clothes and changed in the house because the wind was just a nuisance.

I don't think I spoke any words at all tonight.  I just growled and laughed and moaned and hacked up nasty stuff.  I had not scared people for six days straight, so I was definitely out of it.  I wasn't even ready for the first patrons, I kinda just looked at them as they walked by.  Was not looking like it was going to be a good night.  Then, Jess, my scenemate, informed me her family was coming through tonight.  So, there was at least something to look forward to!  Unfortunately though, they did not come until later and we're in the middle of a group.  I didn't even get a chance to spook them!

I've started reaching out behind the corner of the wall and putting my hand in front of people's faces to get them unexpectedly because a lot of people like to point my little head out creeping around the corner.  There was a particular scare tonight, which was fun.  Three ladies were entering my room and one of them entered with the other two cowering behind.  But there was a gap between the one lady and the two others, so I separated them even more and had the one lady walk to the other scene as I stalked her the whole way.  Good times.

There are a bunch of little kids who come through and either imitate my actions or say "Are you eating the wall?!?  You're a dumbass!"  Do your hear yourself, kid?  I got very fired up at one of these kids tonight and wanted to stalk him out, but he was already scurrying out of the scene like the little squirrel he was.  So, I had the skull in my hand and I just started laughing and banging it against the wall.  I didn't realize how disturbing this image was until someone pointed it out later in the night.  Hooray!  Unfortunately though, the skull's jaw fell of and there's a big dent in the top.  I don't know how much longer she'll last.
Makeup by Tom

I don't know if it was the cold or the cold that affected my head, but I had no concept of time tonight.  So, when Joe came around and told me it was 9 o'clock, I was delighted!  Much later than I expected.  It was yet another early evening for a weekend at Bates.  No complaining there!

(End of 6th evening).

No comments:

Post a Comment