Saturday, October 8, 2011

Aaaand we're back!

After opening weekend and a week off and a failed news story (Steve Jobs...), Bates is in the full swing of things. For the next 23 nights, the farm is my home. And even with an already battered and bruised body, I'm looking forward to spending my haunt season at Arasapha.

Due to the (about-a) week-long absence from the job, I thought I had lost touch with what I gathered from the opening days. And feared for the awkward to creep back. But nope. I lied. It did not. There was a definite not-so-comfortable factor at first, but with a few wagons under my belt, we got it back. Don't worry. We got it back.

I'm certainly becoming more comfortable with my character and my material and the scene, in general, so I reckon that's good, mhm! I conversed with a many a folk tonight. There's nothing like hearing a shriek from an unsuspecting patron, but it is also very rewarding just entertaining the folk. Having full fledged conversations about how they like human legs done over a fire or just flat out how they're doing. Last year, I learned that not every individual that walks through the attraction is frightened half to death. Nor are they even pleased to be there. And sometimes they take it even further by sassing your back! The nerve! (especially the children...) Some peoples' purposes for attending the attraction boggle my mind, but a lot boggles my mind, and so I just shake the plastic grid and hopefully get some new thoughts and fresh flesh. And before I know it, those disappointing busy bodies are gone like the common decency they never had. Oh and some words of advice if you're ever visiting an attraction of fear:

Do not try to scare the actors. It never works and you look like a tool.

Anyways, a-holes are a part of the job. Part of life. And the way you deal with them shows your character and improves upon it as well, both acting and living. And for every 20 ill-tempered victims, there is 1 just-the-right-amount-of-tude victim that makes my job worth it. I most certainly feed off these persons and their squeals, of fear or of humor. If you have ever seen Monsters, Inc., you will know what I'm talking about. Now that I think about, instead of solar energy or tidal energy or wind energy, we should be using scream energy, or laughter energy!

Well. Not too much happened tonight, so my scare-mate and I are cooking up some other interesting ideas for the rest of the season. And I'll give you a hint, it involves using our voices in other ways ;)

(End of 3rd evening).

No comments:

Post a Comment