Friday, October 14, 2011

Dead.

It was a dead night.  (No pun intended).  I was not even sure if we would be open tonight, due to last night's preemptive closure.  I would say they made the right decision though, the higher-ups.  And as they should!  It turned out to be a drier than wet night.  Yet no one came.

Another late start to the night.  I'm telling you, these easy nights are becoming a bit of a habit and this weekend is gonna git me!  I could see the parking lot before heading out on my trek into the woods.  There were absolutely no cars in sight.  For a few minutes, I thought we might be heading right out to our scene only to be turned away.  But nope.  Instead, I was greeted with an overwhelming cloud of fog, encompassing our entire scene.  Apparently, the weather had made the animatronics go awry and never go off, leaving the fog machine to continuously spew out nasty fuss.  It was easily fixed, but it did leave for a very ominous image.  Just imagine.  You're in a sawmill.  It is slightly wet with a chill.  It is dark, but not supposed to be this dark, but you're in the woods, so it's even darker than that dark.  You're surrounded by mist.  It's neither warm or chilly.  It is just there.  A cart drives up, beams its headlights into your eyes.  And all you can see are legs, dangling from the rafters of the building.  It was a pretty insane moment.

I think tonight most certainly felt like one of those "just another day at the job" kind of nights.  I was not amped up for the first few wagons, not even throughout the entire night either.  There's a mine shaft scene we have to walk through to get our scene.  One of the first nights of work, Colin described it as if we were heading off to work through the coal mines.  But that is exactly how it felt last night.  Dragging my steel-toed boots, with a bag on my back, my body sore from the anticipation of the nights to come and a mind fried enough that it tastes like chicken.  Mhm, I reckoned this night would be another notch in the belt.

I forgot to mention that the higher-ups warned us not to take it all out tonight as well, due to the conditions of the trail and the wagons.  So even if I somehow mustered up enough mustard to scare, I could not expend it all out.  So when a wagon came through, I did my normal routine and went back to my scene.  Nothing more, nothing less.  And I always want more, unless my being is begging for the less.

The weather just played tricks on everyone tonight.  It has been the whole week.  From hot to cold.  From dry to wet.  From leaves of green to shades of autumn.  And the rain.  The rain has put a damper on life at the farm.  Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the rain.  But it does make for slower nights and slower bites.  A tractor actually malfunctioned tonight, causing a delay in our performance.  Dragging the night on a bit more.  It feels as if with every drop that falls, my essence is just melting away.  I just wish I could appreciate the rain a bit more without the sensation of death creeping over my back.  And it is FALL! I want to see colorful leaves falling on the setting sun!  I want to feel a cool breeze, but not have to shiver under a cozy outfit!  I want to fucking skip around in the fucking woods with a mood reflective of the Earth's mood!  But I can't help but feel like the walking dead.


(End of 8th evening).

No comments:

Post a Comment