Monday, October 31, 2011

SUN?DAY.

For the first time in Bates history, the attraction was closed due to snow (on Saturday).  Snow.  I believe if this evening were not the 2nd to last night and if it was not a weekend night, the farm would be closed.  Because let's just say, the farm was not in the best condition.

The employee parking lot was almost completely saturated and mucky, making it difficult to enter and leave at the end of the night.  The outside attractions were all seemingly a mess.  But I give the grounds crews credit, because they took care of what they could take care of and it seemed half A-O-KAY.  Probably A-O then.  But that still didn't stop from making our jobs a tad bit more difficult for the night.  And I forgot to mention the cold!  Boy howdy was it cold... I would definitely say it was the coldest it has ever been this season.  Maybe in the 30s.  And that makes for a hard times moving limbs and vibrating the vocal cords. 
Yet surprisingly, the frights were nice.  Due to the conditions, we were told to be careful and cautious with the customers and ourselves.  So when I would jump down at the wagon, I would just walk (as creepily as I could, of course) along side it, hoping to find some frightened individual.  I would also use the wagon a lot more tonight.  Grabbing the side and heaving myself up on it to amplify my voice over the wagon.  It was a subdued and easy-going night.  Even some odd characters on the wagons themselves!  There was a knight with epaules and red cape (must have been the medieval scene), there were a pletheroa of ugly face folk (some of which I weren't sure if they were actually wearing masks...), and even Thing 1 and Thing 2 complete with blue hair!  These characters gave me some good spirits for the rest of the night.

But then...
Right around 9:30PM (when ticket sales are supposed to close and we should be getting the heck out of there) is right when things started to oddly pick up.  The wagons coming were slow yet constant and still full of folks.  Well... I'll tell ya!  I never hated some strangers so much in my life!  Making me stay outside in these blistering temperatures.  Forcing me to entertain youse when all I want to do is steal the warmth right from your throats.  Are you really at a haunted hayride when it is 30 degrees out?!  And there's no source of warmth around?!  On a Sunday night?!  The night before Halloween?!  IT'S MISCHIEF NIGHT!  Go TP your neighbor's house or something!

Luckily, we weren't there for too much longer.  And I bring my sleeping bag on these brisk nights.  So I certainly had that on the pickup wagon.  And a snuggle buddy! ;)

(End of 22nd evening).

1 comment:

  1. So, I went to the bates motel on that sunday, I was actually really upset that it was closed on saturday because I drove home from temple just to go with my sister!

    ReplyDelete